Friday, February 12, 2016

Where did all the Great Super Bowl Ads Go?




Super Bowl Ads, anything but..... in 2016!


Well I've already shared with many of you my utter disappointment with the entire crop of Super Bowl ads this year. No edge, no innuendo, no sizzle! and yes, a little too family centric ....Guess I expected more when companies pay upward of $5mil for :30seconds before an audience of 114 million viewers. So although I participated as as Ad Meter panelist again this year and posted my results religiously I decided that I'd better let the commercials marinade a bit before I weighed in on my real favorites. Strangely enough, after seeing them all in regular network programming only 4 resonate with me in this order 1) Doritos Ultrasound; 2) Jeep (probably because I've owned 4 of them); 3) Crest because of the water conservation and what's happening in Flint; and a distant 4) Mini-Cooper (just because of its message)- No Labels.  And what was up with all the intestinal ads, maybe the drug companies are really taking over after all.


Actually the intrigue surrounding Beyonce's halftime performance captured much more of my attention.  The idea that she was able to use the super bowl to debut her new song "Formation" was a stroke of genius.  It was a true artistic statement that I once attributed to super bowl ads of the past including Go Daddy's sexually scintillating caricatures; and the nostalgia of Budweiser, and the technology that used to be the province of Coca-Cola. Even if it was a tribute to the 50th Anniversary of the Black Panther Movement,  I really don't remember any Black Panthers in that attire!



Right on Sister!
drj

No comments:

Post a Comment